Thursday, November 17, 2011

thrifty thursday.

I have a little confession: I loathe some of the clothes we got as presents for Lua. Whew. I said it. And, now that I've said it, I feel like an awful person...the phrase, "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" comes to mind. All I should care about is that my child is clothed, right? It shouldn't matter that she's wearing a onsie that says 'princess in training' or 'future diva' with so much glitter you wonder if it could somehow be a choking hazard.

...but, I do care. I don't want her to be a princess or a diva and - stepping even deeper into the shallow end - I want her to *grimace* look a bit fashionable? I look at her clothes and think..."would I wear that?". I know it's pretty ridiculous, but I know in a few years she'll be picking out her own sparkling jumpsuits and I won't stop her, so why not dress her like me while I still can?

...another but, we don't really have the money to buy beetle a whole new wardrobe from the department store and I am REALLY opposed to throwing out the hideous garments - they're still free and wearable, so that leaves us with only one option - fix it!

I'll tell you now that, for the purpose of this blog entry I used onsies that were plain, so as to save anyone from any kind of embarrassment:) I really do love and appreciate everyone's gifts for Lua and am so grateful for all our friends' generosity.

I decided to clean out my closet at about the same time as I decided to "revamp" Lua's clothes and managed to find some pretty cute materials to cover the glitter. If you know me, you know that i have always been a fan of cutting up old clothes. Basically I'm starting by cutting simple shapes out of my clothes and hand sewing them onto Lu's onesies to cover up anything I might not be so fond of. The first couple attempts are not so awesome (see below), but I'm excited to keep trying!







Above are the first two attempts. Not totally what I'm going for, but close! Below are a few more attempts up close and, just for fun, the cutest little baby butt you ever did see!


2 comments:

  1. You and those scissors ;) Really though, you might have noticed, even though Juni doesn't have that many clothes, there are a lot of outfits she has only worn once.... long enough to take her picture and then take it off. I know, it makes me feel like an awful person to even admit it to you. And I'm sure there are many things that I think are adorable for Juni that you wouldn't even put on Lua, but there are some AWFUL baby clothes out there. Glad you are reinventing some of them. Good luck to you and your scissors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good for you! i LOATHE those "diva" and "princess" clothes for little girls. that is really smart!

    ReplyDelete