Thursday, March 22, 2012

City Oasis.


Lua spends many of her Saturdays with her guncles, Ryan and Jay, who live only two blocks from us and are AMAZING with her.  They also happen to have a HUGE balcony and one of my favorite things they're doing with it is creating a garden this year.  Jay writes an awesome food blog called Local Food Me and I am so excited for him to begin using his home grown produce in his recipes!

When I picked Lu up this Saturday, I noticed that his leeks and tomatoes were sprouting and it made me long for a garden of my own.  I grew up eating food picked straight out of my family garden and I so want to give Lua that experience if possible.  No TV dinners for this Beetle :)  I'm sure she'll have one or two ice cream cones in her life ;) but I'd like to balance that out with some real, fresh fruits and veggies...not only that, I'd like her to see a cow before she's two - and a chicken, and, of course a horse!

And then - I stumbled upon THIS!


Located in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, on top of a warehouse, this 6000 square foot green roof organic vegetable farm is home to not only chickens, rabbits and fresh fresh veggies - but, wait for it...
BEES!
I'm not sure how many of you are aware, but I was once determined to find a way to be a beekeeper.  I am slightly obsessed with honey and cannot WAIT for Beetle to be old enough to have her first taste of it!  

I'm heading over (or up, rather) the first chance I get!

3 comments:

  1. My brother in law is a beekeeper. For real! Has hives he drives across the country so people can use them to pollinate. Last summer his wife sold fresh honey at markets all summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you thought about pallet gardening? I am doing one now and you can fit in a lot of plants in a small space which may work in your apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you guys have CSAs available in the city? We may tear up our backyard this summer so we're not doing any veggies this year, but we did do a half share from a local farm. Really looking forward to all the yummy fresh stuff!:)

    ReplyDelete