Monday, January 30, 2012

mama to mama. part two. BATHTIME!


Welcome to mama to mama monday!  This week we're talking about bathtime.  If you haven't already, check out part one here.

I was really looking forward to these responses, because bathtime is starting to be a bit of a challenge for us.  After the sink got too small for Lua to lie down in, we switched to taking baths with her in the tub.  Now, before she was mobile, this worked just fine.  We'd lay her on our lap and wash away.  Now though, she can't sit up by herself yet but is much more curious about the water, soap, toys, etc. like a greasy piglet - wriggling and squirming!  What to do, what to do...

Thank you to all the mamas who responded!  Enjoy!
_________________________________________________________

Sara, mom to Nathan (3 1/2 yrs) and Oliver (9 months)

I bathe my boys twice a week unless they get really dirty. Nathan is fun- it’s a good time where we can just spend time together- just us, and its fun to make educational games, like today we were adding using his bath squirt toys. Oliver is bathed in the kitchen sink. It’s much easier since he’s too big for his infant bath but seems to get swallowed up in the regular bath. He loves to splash so its helpful to have extra towels.

After each bath I slather them in thick lotion- especially in winter. Keeps dry skin/eczema at bay.
_______________________________________________________
Kerrie, mom to Aspen (7 weeks)
 
I passed bath time off to daddy....and he usually does it every other night or two before bed. But i know we would like suggestions as we/he are still putting her on top of the "netting" part of baby tub...nothing else seems comfortable and its hard to support her head other ways. One thing that does work well is placing baby tub on top of running washer or dryer....soothing vibrations and a little extra heat.
________________________________________________________

Faith, mother to Lucy (3yrs.) and Milo (11 months )

We bathe our munchkins every other day unless they get super dirty for some reason. It helps keep their skin from getting too dry in winter.

For toys, we have ocean creature squirters and Thomas Trains. Lucy loves to give her bath toys a 'bath' with her washcloth after I'm done washing her. Milo just likes to lay on his tummy in the water and try to crawl. He chews on the bath toys:)
___________________________________________________________

Miriam, mom to Azalia (4yrs.) and Lucia (16months)


Thanks so much for including me in your "mama to mama" post!  I can't wait to see what other Mamas have to say.
 When Lucia was just an infant my husband and I would take turns bathing with her.  We found it to be a wonderful way to bond and she wouldn't really have it any other way!  Now that she is older, both of my girls bathe together.  Recently it has become a nightly thing, as part of their bedtime routines.  They both play fairly well together.  I try to have enough toys in the tub for both of them.  I also try to have two of the same type of toys.  For example, we have two plastic cups that have holes in the bottoms so water leaks out.  That way they both get to have one.  

We go back and forth using California Baby body wash/shampoo and Method Baby.  I just squirt a little bit into the tub while the water is running.  Then I let them play and don't worry about washing them down, unless they are particularly dirty.  I don't wash their hair with shampoo every single time either, just get it wet.  I find this is sufficient, especially since there is a little soap in the water already.  For the most part, bath time is a playful and relaxing time for them, to them transition to bed time.  

My biggest recommendation is to engage with your children while they are in the tub!  Obviously if you have an infant this is required, but as your children get older it's tempting to sit and tune out while they splash away.  While sometimes you need this time, if possible play with them.  I find my girls are much better behaved in the tub when I play with them, as opposed to sitting and reading a book while they are bathing.  

Hope this helps!




7 comments:

  1. Darn...I missed the deadline!:)
    I'm Leslie and my daughter Eloise is 5 months old.
    I was just going to mention my favorite company for baby bath products (and a bunch of other great stuff for mom and baby) is LuSa Organics. They're a local Wisconsin company so I have access to their products at a lot of stores in my area, but you can also purchase online at lusaorganics.com.
    We've been using the Calendula baby bath soap, but I can't wait to try the Lullaby soap (lavender and chamomile) when we run out. Also, Eloise just got over a cold and we were using the Chest rub, which is basically Vick's rub, but all organic.;) Good stuff!
    Thanks to all of the other moms for their ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking in to this product now! Does it have a nice smell to it? Andrew loves when Lua smells "good" :)

      Delete
    2. Even though the baby soap is "unscented," I think the Calendula has a nice slightly spicy smell to it. I always think Eloise smells lovely after her bath.:)

      Delete
  2. Ahh... I missed the boat too. Maybe because we have been in & out of the hospital with 2 of my kids the last 6 days with RSV. {PS. Whatever you do, do NOT get RSV!}

    I am Katie. Mom of 2 year old triplets; Hayden, Olivia & Logan.

    Bath time as babies happened about every 3rd night. Before their last feeding before bed. We used a baby bath that fit on the kitchen sink. Just cycled kids through one at a time. Oh so glad those days are over, it was exhausting.

    Something that I learned about at my new job I wish I had known about when my kiddos were babes. Swaddle bathing! Essentially swaddle your babe in a receiving blanket & stick the babe blanket & all in the tub. Helps keep them warm & comfy. The ideal is that it equates to less crying. We actually do it with newborns at work, umbillical cord & all. We just don't fill the tub deep enough to submerge it. Then just pull out one limb at a time to wash & open the swaddle middle to get to their belly & bum.

    As soon as my kiddos could sit well with help, we invested 3 bath rings that suction to the tub. (Invested as in $24 Walmart online invested) We could bath 3 babes at the same time that way. Amazing!! Squirted some soap in the water while it was running (think bubble bath), just used a bowl/cup to pour said water over them to rinse & just used extra soap as needed for hair & other particular dirty spots. The kiddos like the rings because they could sit & splash & explore. We used them until Logan learned to climb out around 14 months. That way I was able to contain them until I trusted them to all sit nice in the tub. We usually use Aveno baby wash, I like the "bath time" scented soaps. Lotion up after baths, especially Miss Livi. And I've found Coconut oil is very moisturizing for dry eczema skin too. We used that on Olivia a lot that first winter. Just make sure you bathe often enough or they start to smell like a rotten banana.

    In the summer we bathed daily. Sunscreen, dirt, sweat- yuck! In the winter we do every other day, unless we get particularly dirty.

    Some of our favorite bath toys right now are bath crayons. I'm sure there are DIY versions out there, but ours are from good ole' Walmart. I credit them with Olivia knowing 10 colors by age 2! We also like to sing songs while in the tub. Itsy bitsy spider & ABCs are their current faves. Its a good time for singing because they are relaxed & we are in a contained space. Less distractions. The boys love some $1 squirt toy cars from Target. And any ole' cup or bowl to pour water from (& often out of the tub!) One thing to save your $$ on. Those cups that are made to keep water out of kids's eyes when you rinse their hair. Not sure where ours even came from, but it doesn't work for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such great tips! So sorry to hear about your babes :( I'm heading out to get one of those rings tomorrow :)

      Delete
  3. Hi, Laura here, mama to 9 month old Juniper. I take a bath with her every night, but only soap her up (Aveeno baby wash) every other night. We do it as a part of her bedtime routine and have since she was about 2 months old. When she was a little too squirmy to hold on to I would lay a hand towel across my lap, in the water, and then she couldn't slide around quite so easy. Even after ringing the towel out it does take a couple days to dry, but it is only water. Now she just stands and chews on her little squirter toys while I scrub her down one limb at a time. When my husband doesn't have to work late, he sits in the bathroom with us. Some days it is the only uninterrupted family time we get and Juniper loves every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) love ya lauralaura :-) so smart to have bathtime as part of your routine. she knows sleep is comin'!

      Delete