Sunday, October 12, 2014

The baby ladies...




Can you really tell nature vs. nurture?  Are these two girls so incredibly different at this age because they just ARE, or are Andrew and I doing something crazily different?




We started out just the same with Ez as we did with Lua, waiting for my milk to come in and dealing with about a week of a supremely hungry (and fussy) baby.  Even weeks two and three were a bit rough. She wouldn't let me put her down, wouldn't let anyone else hold her...I thought we were in for another high needs baby (not that there's anything wrong with that...!).

 And then, after the first few weeks of figuring out the whole, "I'm out in the world and able to cry and breath and see!" thing, which was a bit (scary/crazy/sob-filled) rough, Esmé  blossomed into this dreamy, zen babe.  She sleeps!  She is delicate and talkative and just so amiable!  We walked the city all day yesterday without so much as a peep and every time Andrew looked at her, she busted out this big, gummy grin:) 

Now, before we get ahead of ourselves, or I write any further, know that I fully expect this to end at some point, maybe tonight, so you can just shut-it with the, Wait until a sleep regression's and your smug, YA, you say that nooowww's.  I know we may lose this.  I know it, and I'm okay with it.  Just let me roll around in the big pile of happy that is my second baby for a bit, will ya?!


Lua came out with a thick skin and a loud voice.  She slept in 1 hour naps all night until she was almost two.  She is wildly funny and smart.  She is emotional, passionate, eager.  She experiences feelings very intensely - be that shyness, happiness or anger;)  Or am I just describing your typical 3 year old?  Is Esmé just your typical second baby?

I've asked myself that a lot lately.  Because, inherent in having a second baby is the, also having to tend to the needs of your first baby, thing.  Inevitably, Esmé has cried a little more - waiting on the floor while I wipe her sister's nose - and has had to figure out how to be soothed with little more than an, "it's ok, baby!" from mama.  Lua never waited for ANYTHING.  I think I probably tried to hold her for the first 9 months of her life:)  Though, there's another big difference.  Lua didn't really like being held 24/7.  She loved to face out, ride in the stroller, etc.  She was an explorer like that.  Esmé startles easily and would rather be worn in a sling than ever ride in a stroller.


My pregnancies were different for sure.  Lua's was super easy.  While I was tired and a bit pukey-feeling, I only actually puked twice (ask me the story about swallowing in a subway tunnel someday) and was able to work all the way through.  I was managing an animal shelter at the time and there were many stressful days and many sleepless nights.  I felt connected to the pregnancy, but more in a look at how freakish this thing looks! kind of way.  I was rough on my body.  I ate poorly, exercised less and, honestly, felt a little more than weirded out the first time I felt Lua move.  Esmé was...you guessed it...different!  From the moment I found out I was pregnant, I was puking.  All day, every day.  We're talking a good two months where I barely got off the couch.  As miserable as I was, I was still eating healthy and doing what little exercise I could.  Mostly, trying to keep up with a 2 year old (while puking).   And this could be inherent with all second babies, but I felt closer this time and more connected from the get-go.

I, of course, could also be looking at my tiny, happy baby being helplessly "snuggled," "patted" and "mama, I'm just going to touch her eye"-ed by my crazy-active kid, and that could be leading me a little more in the they are so different direction;).  I guess only time will tell!

I do adore them both and am amazed every day at what beautiful souls I've been blessed with to raise!


ps....that's me under there;)

2 comments: